2021 Planned Events
The GXSA Annual Dinner that was tentatively planned for 22nd May 2021 has been cancelled because of government restrictions on indoor gatherings.
Wayfarer dinghy hull - Click here for details and pictures.
- (this dinghy has now been acquired by a GXSA member with a generous donation to the Tall Ships Youth Trust).
Cast-Off for Christmas
Our regular pre-Christmas party (this time on Zoom) went well. The Photo Competition had 44 entries (you can see the entries and winners by clicking here).
Congratulations and Well Done to the winning entries:
- Boating - Gerry Knight - Catch Me If You Can
- Scenic: Derek Youell - Schilthorn, Switzerland
- Humour - Gordon Sims - Keep An Eye Open...
- What I did during Lockdown - Geoff Matthews - I Built a Bottle House
Autumn 2020 Sailing Rallies
Because of Covid limitations, these are being held as informal gatherings determined by interest of boat skippers.
- 5th September at East Head, Chichester. Anchoring overnight and beach barbeque. 5 GXSA boats came to the anchorage but only 3 intrepid crews went ashore for the beach barbeque. It was warmer than it looks in the picture...
- On 19th September, Burnadebt and Sonar crews met up for in Yarmouth, while obeying the "Rule of 6". A nice downwind sail from Portsmouth on the Saturday. It was a big spring tide so we also enjoyed the tide assisted sailing to windward on the Sunday morning back to Portsmouth.
"Pub lunch" (Zoom Online)
- Tuesday 8th September
- Wednesday 8th July
Summer Quiz (Zoom Online)
- Wednesday 3rd June
Annual Dinner 2020
- Saturday 14th March
This was at Gerrards Cross Golf Club; Download Dinner Menu and Booking Form
A memorable evening just before gatherings became inadvisable because of the Covid19 outbreak.
The GXSA Annual Awards, cups and trophies were also presented at the Annual dinner.
Bus trip to SS Great Britain, Bristol
- Saturday 29th February 2020
SS Great Britain. Picture, copyright Matt Buck
30 members attended and we mostly dodged the heavy showers ! This was an excellent day out with just the right amount to see in the time we had there.
The bus left the Gerrards Cross Memorial Centre at 0830 arriving about 1115. We had a nice introduction inside the dry dock from Museum staff and mostly went round the exhibition and ship before lunch. After lunch we visited the Brunel museum and went round the ship again. We left at 1530 and were back by 1815. Cost of the trip (£34) included entry to the SS Great Britain.
Saturday 2nd November 2019 - First Aid Course, £95
This RYA approved course was provided by Bisham Abbey staff at a location near Gerrards Cross. The course ran from 9 - 5; the 8 participants were awarded their RYA First Aid certificates (and avoided watching England lose the Rugby World Cup Final..)
Wednesday 2nd October 2019 - GXSA visit to Poole RNLI College for Discovery and All-Weather Lifeboat Centre tours
Fully booked, 25 people attended. Participants made their own way to Poole and met up for a good lunch in the cafeteria at the College before the tours, which started at 2.30pm.
* * * * * * * *
Saturday 21st September 2019 - GXSA Autumn Rally at Yarmouth:
Pontoon party and dinner at Yarmouth Sailing Club (Organiser Stuart Gaunt)
Tuesday 9th July 2019 - GXSA Summer Pub Lunch at The Black Horse, Fulmer SL3 6HD, from 12 noon
Fortunately it was fine weather and 38 GXSA members and friends enjoyed a good lunch in the garden at the Black Horse. It was a good opportunity to get together in the summer break. Our thanks to Bernie Smallman for organising this event.
Saturday 22nd June 2019 - GXSA Rally at Bucklers Hard, Beaulieu River: Menu and Booking details
8 boats and 25 GXSA members attended this rally, which was very enjoyable.
Thursday 13th June 2019 - Operation Wellfound Charity Golf day at Harleyford Golf Club.
Excellent course, breakfast, 18 holes Texas scramble, 3 course evening meal and prize giving. Contact Steve Daish.
Saturday 11th May - GXSA Spring Rally at Marchwood: Menu and booking details
Saturday 23rd March 2019 - GXSA Annual Dinner at Gerrards Cross Golf Club